Union versus Non-Union
A labor or trade union is an organization of workers dedicated to protecting members’ interests and improving wages, hours and working conditions for all. The origin of labor unions dates back to the eighteenth century and the industrial revolution in Europe. During this time there was a huge surge of new workers into the workplace that needed representation.
In the United States’ history of unions, early workers and trade unions played an important part in the role for independence. Although their physical efforts for the cause of independence were ineffective, the ideas they introduced, such as protection for workers, became part of our American culture.
You have a say on your benefits and working conditions!
- Workers do not stand alone!
- You have a say on and can bargain over all the things listed above, and more.
- You have representation in the workplace on all the things listed above and more.
- If the company violates your contract, you have the right to file a grievance. You have a grievance procedure and an arbitration procedure if arbitration becomes necessary.
- If you get hurt on the job, you have representation on Workers’ Compensation claims.
- If the company violates the National Labor Relations Act (NLRA) – the national law governing unions and management – you have representation, and the union may file “unfair labor practice charges” on your behalf.
- If you get laid off, you have representation on unemployment compensation claims.
- You have representation on safety issues.
- And more!
Workers have NO control over:
- Changes in wages
- Probationary periods
- Employment status – whether you’re a permanent, regular, or temporary employee, or whether you’re full-time, part-time, or casual
- Job promotion
- Hours of work
- Reporting pay
- Sick leave
- Leave of absence, like jury duty, funeral leave, or sick leave
- Health insurance (medical, dental, vision)
- Work opportunity
- Discipline or firing
- Severance pay
- Work schedule
Workers have no real control over their pay, benefits, or working conditions.